with a 350/400. Aside from the slip yoke
being different, will the driveshaft that
was used with the powerglide fit with the
turbo 400? Is the length the same?
Any other differences?
Thanks alot for your help.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 98, 8:43 AM
I had a new driveshaft built and it is 57" center to center of the u-joints for my 350/400 short tailshaft with a 12 bolt.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 98, 8:51 AM
In Memory of Wes Gold Member

Just to be careful (paranoid?), once you get everything in place, you should contact the shop that is going to do the driveshaft work and find out how they want measurements taken.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 98, 3:09 PM
Tech Team
Wes is correct. FWIW, I work at a driveline shop. We constantly get customers who will come in with a shaft and say they want it shortened 3 inches, or made 3 inches longer, or whatever. We ask them for a measurement from the end of the output shaft to the flats (center of rear joint) on the rear yoke. Some will insist that they only want it shortened, or whatever and refuse to give the measurement we ask for. Then, when they come back after it doesn't fit, they want us to redo it for free. They usually have the correct measurement we need at this point and grumble when we charge them again.

BTW, don't even waste time trying to find a shaft to fit, just take yours to a driveline shop and have them modify it to fit, it will save you lots of headaches and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it was done right. It doesn't cost that much anyway, and will be cheaper in the long run than if the shaft you try to make fit falls out and starts breaking more parts. Have tham replace any questionable joints, and make sure it gets balanced.

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 12-17-98).]
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.